Our job as St. Louis Tour Guides

On Thursday we started our day as tour guides for our friends by picking up breakfast at World’s Fair Doughnuts, where they make their great doughnuts by hand.  Our next stop was the Basilica.  I almost hate to describe it because it’s always such a joy to introduce people to it when they visit.  Suffice it to say that the Basilica is a gorgeous cathedral and well worth visiting.
For lunch we went to the Everest Cafe, which just might be Randy’s favorite restaurant in this area.  They serve a unique combination of Nepalese, Korean and Indian food.  I am not known for my adventurous spirit when it comes to food, but this food beguiles me every time.  We recommend it to everyone.
Of course we had to go to the Arch, but on the way we visited the Old Cathedral.  Inside it’s all clean lines with pale blue walls and polished pewter. After visiting churches in the Boston, I would say this cathedral has more in common with their style than with the French St. Louis style.
Fortunately it wasn’t too busy at the Arch so we were able to visit the museum, see the film and still go up to the top of the Arch.  What a fabulous view!
We didn’t go into the City Museum, just drove by it.  But one of my favorite parts is the fence, which looks like it was designed by Tim Burton.
Next day we started at Soulards; most people have been to a Farmer’s Market, but not like Soulards!   Then we got some Gus’s Pretzels and Dad’s Original Scotch Oatmeal Cookies.  Having primed our appetites, we went to Carl’s Deli for lunch.  And to walk off all that food, we went to the Zoo for a few hours.  I was there last week but always enjoy it because I always see something new.  This time I surprised myself by checking out the insects.  I can guarantee that if there wasn’t glass between me and the tarantula, my thumb would not be next to it - I HATE spiders!

No comments:

Post a Comment