2012 Riverside Culinary School


Randy has been out of Riverside, taking care of our building in the Midwest.  I have a tendency to hibernate when I’m on my own, but since I am with the California branch of the family, being a couch potato is not really an option.  

Friday I joined Teresa and her class at the Riverside Culinary School for lunch.  It was a field trip for her class and a few other classes, as part of their Workability program.  Teresa teaches an ED class, as in Emotionally Disabled.  Some students are autistic but most have emotional issues, tending towards anger management problems.  It's great that they get to have these field trips but it requires some extra effort on the part of the teachers.  Before they got on the bus to go to the restaurant, a teacher came in and gave the students lessons on restaurant manners - how to sit, how to use utensils, what is “polite conversation” (and what is not).  These trips are a great thing; they give these kids exposure to a different world than they are used to.  And when they went into the restaurant, the students used every bit of good manners that they could remember.  Lots of “please” and “thank you”, no shoving or shouting, with water goblets held just right and their knives and forks placed carefully on the plates.  The staff served just hamberger/cheeseburger and fries; I could have hoped to give the students something else.  But after all, the chefs are students also and our group was over 50 people, so it was probably for the best.  The food was really good and the students behaved so well.

Saturday I went with Teresa to watch her grandsons play football.  They both played well - Ian's team lost, in spite of some some great plays by Ian and his team.  Riley's team won.  The team they played against had been undefeated and the game was really close - first one side was ahead, then the other.  I shouted myself hoarse and still have a sore throat.  We spent 4 hours at the games and afterwards we went to lunch at Roscoe's.  Aunt Jean and I split a beef sandwich that came with 2 sides.  She ordered a side of home-made chips and I ordered a . . . salad!   That was a small victory in the ongoing battle to stay on Weight Watchers.  I need more victories.

Sunday I joined the family at Marla’s and Jim’s house to continue the celebration of Jim’s 60th birthday.  Lots of good food and good company.  Another opportunity to fail at Weight Watchers, and I seldom miss an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment