Really Good Eating on Hilton Head Island


Oh, dear...we have been at Hilton Head Island for over a week and I haven’t written anything.  The problem is that I’ve been cleaning, goofing off, organizing, eating, working and goofing off some more (when in doubt, tell the truth).  I have to start before I get too far behind and forget everything, so I’m going to break the events down into sections.  The first section will be - - - FOOD!   Since I can suddenly really taste food, I'm having a pretty good time.  

When you get to Hilton Head Island, find the Sea Shack for lunch or dinner.  Finding the place is the hard part - our GPS took us to the wrong location, and when we asked directions, they also sent us to the wrong place.  But eventually Randy found it.  We ordered the fried calamari appetizer and blackened Mahi Mahi.  That calamari was excellent.  This was the only time I’ve had calamari that rivals the calamari at Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville.  I had given up on finding anything that good, but here it was!  For dinner we shared the Mahi Mahi with slaw, fries and hush puppies.  I had also given up on finding good hush puppies, but here they were!  It was worth the trouble it took to find this place and I marked it on our GPS because we will definitely be back.  My thanks go out to the guest in the office who suggested this one, because we probably would not have found it on our own.

One Hot Mama - there was a big line when we went there but we decided to wait it out.  We met Neal and his buddy in line.  Neal had a coupon book for some of the local restaurants and since he was scheduled to leave the island soon, he let us use it to get a break on our meal, then gave it to us.  They’ve been at this restaurant before and said it would be worth the wait.  And it was!  The pulled pork was luscious, and when you add the cheese grits, custom-made omelets, biscuits and gravy, sausage links, scrambled eggs, bacon, beans and mini cinnamon rolls - well, we certainly got our fill.  And even better, we enjoyed every bit of it.  The complementary mimosa just topped it off! 

The Black Marlin - excellent!  I ordered the crab cake sandwich and Randy ordered the shrimp burger, both with sweet potato fries, and we shared.  I ate some of the crab cake sandwich first and decided it had to be the best, even before I tasted the other one.  And then I tasted the shrimp burger and had to change my decision - I had no idea that shrimp burgers could be that good!  

At Frankie Bones I ordered Fettucini Alfredo with blackened salmon and Randy got the roast french dip with skinny fries.  It was so good.  Everything.  My meal was excellent and his was even better.  To top it off we ordered the carrot cake, but unfortunately that was not on the same level.  I would go back for the meal, but not the dessert.  That’s OK, I don’t need dessert anyway!


No comments:

Post a Comment