RVing in Hilton Head Island

We haven't visited much of South Carolina yet but here on Hilton Head Island, the land retains much of its natural beauty.  The culture here is very 'green', and you won't see any billboards or flashy signs.  This picture could be a street anywhere on the island, although it's someplace very specific:
Another view gives a better hint of where it is:
That's right - this is the RV park where we are staying. We have been in some other beautiful RV parks but this one stands out as the greenest.  The laws here protect trees to the extent that now it's almost impossible to cut any down.  That probably drives the business owners crazy, but it does preserve the outdoors for everyone else.  There is another RV parked next to us but the trees and foliage create a natural screen.  It is practically like camping in the woods. . .
but just around the corner are full amenities:  paved bike paths, a big clubhouse, a hot tub and a gorgeous pool, which will open as soon a it warms up a bit.
There is so much to be explored in the area, just as soon as it warms up a bit.  There is a theme there - it needs to WARM UP.  I am very grateful to be out of the snow and sleet of the Midwest, but I am now an official "Snow Bird" because I think temperatures in the 40's are practically uncivilized, even if the sun is shining.  Today I was wearing the jacket I bought for Alaska, plus my headscarf and gloves.  They tell me that soon I will be wishing for the cool weather to return and I believe them, but it doesn't keep me warm now.  Oh, well, there are some sweet compensations, like going to Gillan's Fresh Seafood and Oyster Bar for a dozen oysters.  I can't believe how much I used to hate oysters and how much I love them now.  They are still the ugliest food I've ever seen, but that's just too bad - pass me the horseradish and cocktail sauce!  




No comments:

Post a Comment