Weird Plants

Back in November of 2011 I found a funny little plant in Arizona called a Lithop.  I really like it and bought one but unfortunately, being a desert plant, it didn't survive the trip to Alaska.  But since I'm going to be in the South for quite a while, I decided to try again.  While we were in Arizona this January I found some for sale at the at the Desert Museum.  I bought them and transplanted them into a cute little container I bought in Palomas, Mexico.  They look pretty good, with a decorative shell tucked in the corner.
And shortly after I bought it, they started to grow.  Lithops grow by pushing new leaves out from in between the old ones, sort of like a snake shedding it's skin. 
Now, being desert plants, Lithops need a lot of sun.  When Lithops are healthy, they stay very short, just above the ground.  But if they don't get enough sun, they grow up towards it.  Apparently mine are not getting enough sun, because they are looking unusually weird. . . what the heck?!

No comments:

Post a Comment