Mom versus the Tornado

I got a phone call from Mom's friend Mary this morning.  Mary has a charged cell phone and a full tank of gas, and is checking on Mom regularly.  Mom, of course, will not consider going anywhere where, such as one of her daughters' house where there is power, or even to the shelter across the street from her own house, where they have a generator set up.  Mom comes from a family whose stubbornness is legendary.  She is close to 90 and frail, but once she decides something, that's it.  She said she has bottled water, food and blankets, and that's all she needs.  She does not understand why I am concerned; when she says she's OK, I should believe her and that should be the end of it.  I love her endlessly, but sometimes we don't speak the same language. 

Update:  I can hardly believe it, but the power is back on at Mom's place.  Her house wasn't actually hit by the tornado, but still, with all that destruction, I never expected they could get power back so soon.  I am so relieved and grateful; I have been terribly  worried about her and feeling totally helpless to keep her safe.  

Of course, this is all in the natural order of things to Mom.  She said all along that there was no need to go to a safer place, a place with working lights, heat or phones.  And this just proves her case!  To quote Jack Sparrow "there'll be no living with her after this."

No comments:

Post a Comment