Tornado at home, in Washington, Illinois

A big tornado went through Washington, Illinois today.  That's where my Mom lives, and my sisters live in nearby towns.  We had a little trouble getting through to them on the phone, but eventually I talked to Mom and Kathy.  Everyone is fine, thank God.  Power is out and cell phone batteries are running low, so I didn't talk to them for very long; better to save those batteries in case they need them for something else.  This is one of those times where I am so glad my sisters live near Mom; I know they will take excellent care of her.  So I sit here and say my prayers for my family and the rest of Washington.

1st Update:  The damage is so much worse than I originally realized.  I was counting on my sisters to get to Mom, but power is out in all of their houses.  Randy's sister Theresa doesn't have power at her house either, but she drove over to Kathy's so I could talk to Kathy again on her cell phone; Kathy's cell phone is almost dead and she doesn't have a charger in her car.  Since Kathy's power is out, she had no idea how bad it is; she assumed power would come back on soon.  Mom is comfortable at home tonight and I know her, she would never consider going to a shelter, but it is obvious that power is going to be out for several days.  I am checking air fares and Mapquest. 

2nd Update:  My other sister, Ruth, has power again at her house.  There is a 6 pm curfew in Washington so nobody is going anywhere tonight, but tomorrow she will be able to gather the family at her place.  Thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment