Camping World trip - April 2

Last night we drove to Home Depot and parked the RV at the edge of their parking lot, as the Manager suggested. Just a couple buildings away was a Slater's 50/50 restaurant. The first time we went to one of these back in 2012, I decided they served the best burger I had ever had. So it was natural to walk over there for dinner. I ordered the 50/50 burger again - a burger made from 50% beef and 50% bacon, topped with avocado, chipolte sauce and an over-easy egg. I don't like chipolte and I almost never eat over-easy eggs, but this was a great combination. However....I wouldn't classify it as the best. I think that the thing that makes it so good is the egg; I'd never had that before and I was sort of swept away. It's a great burger, but not necessarily the best. So maybe I'll order an egg on my next gourmet burger, no matter where I get it!

It was OK spending the night in Home Depot's lot. They kept the lot lights on and the noise from the street wasn't enough to keep us awake. In the morning Randy got up early and walked over to McDonald's to get coffee. When I took the dogs out a few minutes later, I discovered that were several guys standing around; I forgot that this is a common practice in Southern California. They were waiting to see if someone would hire them for the day. Around here it's normal for contractors to pick up supplies and hire a few guys at the same place. As usual, they were all Hispanic and they were all well behaved; one guy even offered to wash our RV. But we didn't need it washed, we needed it fixed, so we crossed the street to Camping World. Camping World lots seldom have good RV parking and this one was no exception, but when Randy found a spot, the guy parked ahead of us moved his RV a bit so we could more easily fit in. Then Randy went to get us some breakfast biscuits to enjoy while we waited for the office to open. When they did open, Randy went inside to set things up. There was an awkward bit where they wanted to pump up the bill because the slides have awnings, but fortunately Randy was able to work things out. So we left them our key and drove to the Flower Fields, where Randy asked Teresa and Jack if we could use their RV for the day. They said yes, so we went back to the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum to spend a quiet day in our cousin's RV. I couldn't be sure our pets wouldn't have a bathroom mistake and I knew they would shed all over, so I put Missy the cat in the bathroom with a box of litter, while the dogs spent the time in their kennels. Randy bought lunchmeat for us all and we watched TV until around 1:30, when we returned to pick the RV up and drive home again. 

Backing into our spot at the Museum was tricky - there are RVs parked close on both sides, plus our own stuff (table, chairs, BBQ) was still there. Ever since Randy worked at Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort helping RVers park in those luxury sites, we have adopted a different parking technique. He stands outside and I get behind the wheel. I don't drive the RV, but during parking all I have to do is watch Randy. He guides me in. I suck at giving directions and honestly I'm not that great at following them, but in this situation the responsibility makes me behave. And due to Randy's excellent directions, we made it in the very first try, with all wheels up on the wood blocks. That is an excellent  job of guiding, and a not-too-shabby job of listening!

5 years ago: Awesome Yosemite

No comments:

Post a Comment