A surprisingly good dental experience

Well, it was a quiet day at the dentist, and that's something I never thought I would say. The doctor gave me a prescription for a Valium last night, to help me sleep, and one today before my appointment, to ease my stress. All that Valium made it necessary for Randy to be my driver, and sit in the waiting room for 2 hours until the procedure was done. When I sat down in the chair, the assistance offered me some sunglasses (so I didn't have to stare at them while they worked), gave me a light blanket to snuggle under, set up a movie for me to watch (I picked Nightmare Before Christmas) and used two topical anesthetic swabs on my inside cheek. The doctor gave me two shots of novocaine, and, after a while, because I could still feel a test poke, he gave me a third shot. And then everything went just fine.....

The dentist I went to last month thought I would need a root canal but after cleaning away the decay, Dr. Steelman discovered I do not need one after all. It was a near thing, but the tooth is good enough unless the tooth nerve decides to become inflamed. He also took the crown off a nearby tooth that was decaying near the crown edge, cleaned up that decay, and fitted both teeth for new crowns. Now I have a two temporary crowns in place. I also have a couple of 800 mg Ibuprofen for pain; I took one because I know my jaw will be sore after 2 hours of work, and right now all is well. I didn't even need the Nitrous Oxide! I never thought I would be able to sit through dental work without that. I always pray my way through dental work, and I gratefully thank God that this went well!

No comments:

Post a Comment